Friday, June 24, 2011

From the Desk Prosperity’s Summer Intern, Rachel Bayless:


Well, this week has been fun-filled. A new component was added to the REAP Grant application, a CCR registration. All of our clients who thought they were done received brand new phone calls asking for more information. The USDA is keeping us on our toes! While it isn’t a fun process, it is necessary. And it is giving me a lot of time on the phone. Once you’ve talked through the registration a few times it doesn’t seem so bad. Although I spend my weekdays on a computer all day long, and the applicants have other things on their plate, like a farm! But I’m happy that clients are finally calling with questions that I am able to answer! It makes me feel useful.

This week the application for certification to become a Women’s Business Enterprise was mailed. I have been working on that since I got here (over a month ago!). The application requires quite a bit of documentation, and it has been so busy in this office that the process was put on hold a little for us. But hopefully I didn’t forget any documents and Prosperity can officially become a “Women’s Business Enterprise”.  Sarah is also looking to become a member of the National Speakers Association. We must provide documentation for 20 speaking events in the past 12 months. Those will also take some time to get together. But becoming a member of NSA, Sarah will have the opportunity to do a lot of networking and broaden her speaking horizons.

I have also begun working on a marketing plan for Sarah Aubrey’s books. Even though marketing is part of my major at Purdue, this is my first time delving into a marketing experience. Since I have never made a marketing plan before, I’m going to be using Erin’s (our marketing and communications coordinator) expertise to clean it up. I will keep you updated on the progress of book sales. I will be working towards having the book sold at Indiana wineries, farm supply stores, local bookstores, and any other venues where people would express an interest in her books.

Next week, as an office, we will be attending Alternative Fuel and Related Technology “Day at the Track”. At this time I do not know too much about the event. But we may have the opportunity to drive an electric car at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and meet lots of people. Next week be waiting to read more about our experience there, and I will include some pictures!

Photo by Jared Coppess

1 comment:

  1. That marketing plan should definitely include the internet. Without that "secret weapon," you'll be hard pressed to disseminate info about your product.

    - Staci Burruel

    ReplyDelete