Thursday, May 19, 2011

From the Desk of Prosperity’s Summer Intern, Rachel Bayless:


My name is Rachel Bayless, and I will be Prosperity’s intern this summer. I am a sales and marketing major at Purdue University, which is in the College of Agriculture. I am also pursuing a Communication minor. Prior to beginning at Prosperity, I was the author of a blog for the Purdue Admissions department. I got the chance to promote both Purdue and the School of Agriculture to potential students. I loved this job, because it gave me a chance to tell the incoming freshmen what college is truly like. Purdue websites don’t tell the whole story. I love attending Purdue, and I’m glad that I get to prepare at least a few freshmen for what the experience is really like. I also work in the Advertising Department for Purdue’s independent student newspaper, The Exponent. This is giving me a lot of experience in both sales and marketing. Working as a sales assistant, I have learned some things that I will bring to Prosperity this summer. And following this summer, I will take my experience back to The Exponent as I work as an advertising representative. I can’t say that The Exponent is a huge hit in the College of Agriculture, as it is a pretty liberal newspaper. But experience is invaluable, and that is exactly what I’m getting by working in the advertising department.

While I don’t have an agriculture background, I am eager to gain a little experience in the agricultural field (no pun intended). I am certain that working at Prosperity will prepare me for a career in agriculture, though I currently may not know as much as other students in the College of Agriculture.  This summer I will be responsible for several things. I will be working with Prosperity’s marketing tools, such as this blog and the monthly newsletters. Client correspondence and general administration tasks will also be put in my care. A project that Sarah has lined up for me is to design a marketing project of her books. This project I will be initiating will give me phenomenal, real-career experience in both sales and marketing, and I’m looking forward to taking it on.

Already with Prosperity I have gotten to attend a Women in Agriculture luncheon at the state fairgrounds, where I got to meet the lieutenant governor, Becky Skillman, who I truly enjoyed meeting. She’s a very sweet lady. What a great first internship experience! I am proud that I get to work with Prosperity Ag & Energy Resources this summer. 


Check out announcements about my internship on Facebook, website, and press releases

No comments:

Post a Comment